Church & Dwight Co., Inc. EU and UK Privacy Notice
Last Updated: March 11, 2022
Church & Dwight Co., Inc. and its affiliates ("Church & Dwight", “we” or “our”) know that your privacy is important to you, and we want you to know that it is important to us too. This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes the types of personal data we collect about you, how and for what purposes we use your personal data, with whom we share it, how long we retain it and the choices and rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal data.
This Notice applies to personal data we obtain through the Church & Dwight websites (including mobile versions of our websites), our mobile software applications, and the various social networking platforms that we use (each, a "Site"). This Notice also applies to personal data that you may provide to us, or that we may obtain about you, through offline channels, such as over the phone, by mail, or in person.
The following entities are responsible for the collection and processing of your personal data:
France: Sofibel SAS, 110-114 rue Victor Hugo, F-92300 Levallois Perret
Germany: Church & Dwight Deutschland GmbH, Hannauer Landstraße 291B, 60314 Frankfurt
United Kingdom: Church & Dwight UK Limited, Wear Bay Road, Folkestone, Kent, CT19 6PG.
Information We Collect About You From You
We collect personal data about you in various ways, such as when you conduct a transaction on our Sites; engage in a promotion; create an account on our Sites; sign up for our newsletters or other marketing communications; use our services; make online purchases; enter sweepstakes and contests; complete surveys, quizzes or questionnaires; submit a product review; interact with the Sites’ "Chat" feature; participate in product affinity groups; interact with us at a trade shows or lunch 'n learns; or submit a complaint, comment or question to us. We also may obtain information about you from third-party sources.
The types of personal data we may obtain about you include:
- Contact information (such as your name, company name, address, phone number, e-mail address;
- Birth month and day;
- Payment information (such as your payment card number and expiration date);
- Geolocation information, if you use our mobile Sites and have turned on the location services, and wireless device addresses;
- Site browsing history;
- Information you may provide us in the case of a claim or complaint about our products, including health or dietary-related data; and
- Other content you may provide (such as reviews, survey responses, preferences, and comments).
We will let you know which information is required or optional (on the form on which we collect your data or, where applicable, orally). Failure to provide the information required may prevent us from responding to you or providing you with the product or service you request.
If you make a purchase on the Sites, we will also create and keep a record of your orders, purchase history, and shopping behavior and preferences based on the information you provided in connection with your purchase(s).
The personal data collected through our Sites may be combined and maintained with personal data we collect from you offline or from third parties for the purposes described in the “How We use Your Information” section below.
Automated Collection of Information
When you visit our Sites, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies, pixel tags, web server logs and other technologies. The information we collect in this manner may include your device IP address, unique device identifier, web browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, clickstream data, and dates and times of Site visits.
- Cookies are small data files stored on your computer or device at the request of a website. A cookie assigns a unique numerical identifier to your web browser, and may enable us to recognize you as the same user who visited our Sites in the past, and relate your use of the Sites to other information about you. Cookies may also be used to enhance your experience on the Sites (for example, by storing your username so you can log in easily, keeping you logged in to the Sites after you have provided your password, and storing the contents of your shopping cart as you browse), to collect general usage and aggregated statistical information about our Sites, detect and prevent fraud, and tailor the advertising you receive from us to your interests. Most browsers can be set to detect cookies and give you an opportunity to reject them, but please note that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of the Sites.
- A pixel tag (also known as a "clear GIF" or "web beacon") is a tiny image that links webpages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server. This can be placed on a webpage or in our electronic communications to you to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you've opened one of our emails or visited our Sites.
Third-Party Analytics Services
- We use third-party analytics services on our Sites, such as Google Analytics, to help us analyze your use of the Sites. The information collected through these means (including IP address) may be disclosed to these analytics providers, and other relevant third parties who use the information to evaluate use of the Sites. To opt out of Google Analytics, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Online Tracking and Interest-Based Advertising
How We Use Your Information
Typically, we use the personal data we collect about you for the following legitimate business purposes:
- to administer the Sites, create and manage your account, and develop new features and offerings on the Sites;
- to manage your orders, deliveries and invoices, process your payments and fulfill your transactions;
- to notify you about contests and promotions, administer promotions and communicate with contest entrants and winners;
- to conduct polls, surveys and consumer testing;
- to manage and communicate with you about our loyalty programs;
- if you so elect, to send you our newsletter or other marketing or promotional communications, and communicate with you about our and others’ products, services and events that we think might interest you;
- to customize our Sites to your interests and history with us, and tailor ads displayed to you on third-party websites to your interests based on the record of your orders, purchase history and shopping behavior and preferences;
- to respond to your questions, requests or comments;
- to protect against, monitor, detect and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities;
- to protect against and prevent system vulnerabilities and other information security risks;
- to handle claims or complaints we receive in connection with our products and services, to protect our rights and property and to enforce our legal claims, including complying with any preservation or disclosure obligation we may have in anticipation or in the context of legal proceedings;
- to contact you with reminders and updates (including order updates);
- to perform accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation, collection and other internal functions;
- to operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; performing data analytics; deidentifying personal data; determining and managing the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing; and analyzing our products, services and Sites);
- for statistical and market research purposes;
- to comply with and enforce applicable legal and regulatory requirements, industry standards and our policies and terms, including our obligation to monitor the safety of our products and report any issue.
We will use your personal data for these purposes based on one of the following grounds: if we have obtained your consent, or, as the case may be, if it is necessary to perform a contract to which you are party or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract with us, if it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or if we have a legitimate interest to do so (including a legitimate interest in processing and enforcing legal claims, monitoring and preventing fraud, and performing marketing activities, data statistics, market and consumer research and other analyses, as well as audits and searches of documents, e.g., in response to requests for litigation hold or pre-trial discovery requests). Where we rely on our legitimate interests, we take reasonable measures to ensure that the interests we pursue are balanced with your interests, rights and freedoms, which we are happy to explain upon request.
We may also use the personal data for other purposes for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
We may use your electronic contact details, or permit our brands to use your electronic contact details, to provide you with promotional e-mails or text messages about Church & Dwight and/or our brands if you have consented to receive these e-mails/text messages or, where permitted by applicable law, if you have not opted out. You can opt out of receiving e-mail/text communications from us or our brands at any time by following the instructions which are contained in all e-mail/text communications or contacting us as specified in the How to Contact Us section below.
With Whom We share Your Information
Your personal data will be processed by authorized personnel of Church & Dwight only on a need-to-know basis, including Church & Dwight’s customer relations, marketing, finance, accounting, legal, IT and regulatory or compliance services.
We will, however, share your personal data with:
- other affiliates of the Church & Dwight group of companies for the purposes described above;
- our third party service providers, who perform specific business support services on our behalf and based on our instructions, or other business partners. The provision of these services may involve access to your personal data. We do not authorize our third party service providers to use or disclose the personal data except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements, as provided by contract. Examples of third party service providers or business partners (mainly based in the U.S.) include companies that assist us with fulfilling coupons, sending e-mails, conducting and administering contests and promotions, executing surveys, managing customer relations and in case of purchases made on our Sites, processing card payments, monitoring and preventing fraud, and/or shipping or fulfilling orders, information security service providers and other service providers that support our business operations; and
- our co-sponsor(s) if we obtain your personal data in connection with a contest, sweepstake, offering, or other promotional activity that is jointly offered by us and any third parties, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
We will disclose your personal data to other parties, only with your consent, unless when we are required to do so or permitted to do so by law, regulation, legal process or enforceable government request. In particular, we may disclose your personal data to regulatory authorities to comply with our reporting obligations and to adverse parties in litigation or governmental entities in accordance with applicable law. We also will disclose your personal data where we believe disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with our legal obligations.
We also reserve the right to transfer personal data we hold about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation). The recipient of personal data following such actions may have privacy policies that differ from those in this Notice.
Certain of the above recipients are located in countries other than the country where the data originally was collected, including outside the European Union. In particular, we may transfer your personal data to other group companies, including our parent company in the U.S. and sister companies in Australia, Canada, Brazil, China and Mexico to manage customer functions globally within the group. Duly authorized personnel of our group companies may have access to all your data for this purpose on a need-to-know basis only. In addition, if you contact our consumer relations department about our products, we will transfer your personal data to our U.S. service provider that provides consumer relations management services on our behalf. This service provider will have access to your contact information and complaint or query-related data for this purpose. The laws in the above countries (except Canada) have not been recognized by the European Commission as providing for an adequate level of data protection. Church & Dwight concluded data transfer agreements incorporating the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses to ensure such a level. You may obtain a copy of these agreements by contacting us as specified in the How to Contact Us section below.
How We Protect Your Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect your personal data against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, access, unauthorized disclosure or access. Service providers who might have access to your personal data in order to provide services on our behalf will be contractually obliged to keep such personal data in confidence and provide adequate data security measures.
How Long We Retain Your Information
Typically, we keep your personal data for the duration of our relationship, plus a reasonable period in order to be able to run regular blocking/deletion routines, or to take into account the applicable statute of limitation period or if required under mandatory applicable law. Your personal data may be kept for a shorter or longer period depending on the purposes for which your data were collected.
Our Sites are intended for visitors over eighteen years of age. We do not target our Sites to appeal to children under the age of thirteen and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen.
In accordance with applicable data protection law, you have the right to request access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data. You also have the right to request that the processing of your personal data is restricted or to object to such processing if permitted by applicable law. If you have consented to our use of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future and without providing reasons. Where applicable, you have the right to receive the personal data, that you provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to transmit those data to another data controller. You may also define the ways how your personal data will be processed after your death, where permitted by applicable law. If you wish to exercise these rights, please click here. You may also lodge a complaint with a data protection authority.
Links to Other Websites
We may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we update or change the terms of this policy, we will post changes in a revised Privacy Notice available on the Sites.How to Contact Us